Badge +1

What does the order flag do?

icon

Best answer by Sarah.Grabowski 16 July 2020, 00:25

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

When creating coordinate breaks, one of the parameters you control is the order flag. If this is set to zero, the decenters in X and Y are done first, then tilts, followed by any decenter in Z (the thickness). For a non-zero order flag (usually 1), the order is reversed which is helpful for undoing a coordinate transformation via a second coordinate break. However, regardless of the order flag, the thickness (decenter in Z) is always last.

It is important to remember that order does matter. If you tilt about X first, you will get a new set of Y and Z axes around which the following tilts will be performed, so tilting around X,Y,Z is not the same as Z,Y,X. You must take care such that the tilts and decenters are performed such that your final surface orientation is as you intended.  

There are flags of SQ systems coordinate break.

How about the similar operation in NSQ system?

Does a companent in NSQ have a decenter/tilt operation similiar to that with flag 1 of  SQ coordinate break ?

I look up manual and it looks like a companent in NSQ perform decenter/tilt follow a default sequence similar to that with flag 0 of SQ coordinate break.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yes there is an option here:

I try to check Use Global XYZ Rotation Order and can't find difference.

Attached a sample file.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Kevin

Sorry I think my description was wrong. In the help file, we say:

Use Global XYZ Rotation Order If checked, the rotation convention for object tilts is to first rotate about the X axis, then the Y axis, then the Z axis. If unchecked, the rotations are done about the Z axis, then the Y axis, then the X axis. This latter ZYX convention is what a sequential coordinate break surface does if the order flag is zero. Note that rotating using the ZYX convention is exactly the same as rotating about the X axis, then rotating about the “new” Y axis, then finally the “new” Z axis. See also, the “Coordinate system” explanation in the Object Placement section.

So it is only about the order of the tilts. The decenters are always done first in non-sequential mode.

If you wanted to change this, you will need to add a dummy object and reference your object to that dummy object.

Sandrine