Solved

compensators

• 28 September 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a two lens system collimating light from source and focusing it to the detector. The coordinate break before the two lenses are surf 3 and 8. I tried to use multiple compensators (x, y, z and tilt) to optimize. I saved the MC files and found none of the files have the compensated parameter changed from nominal, ie., the compensators doesn’t seem to work. 

Anything wrong with my TDE?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 2 October 2023, 11:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @icybird,

Hard to say for me. Are you able to share a minimum working example that demonstrate the issue with us? In your MC files, are TEZI implemented correctly? Could you try with a simpler TDE and check step by step? Perhaps with a single COMP and one tolerance, and maybe not a TEZI because those need a bit of caution to setup, to see if there’s anything wrong with your file? If you tried thickness COMP on surface 8, and tolerance TTHI on surface 3 does that work?

Take care,

David

Hello @icybird,

did you add just a single coordinate break in front of each lens or another one behind the lens. Usually it is necessary to add a second coordinate break with a pick up to return the system afterwards. If you want to tilt or rotate a lens e.g. it might look like the following routine …

coordinate break

> lens surface(s)

coordinate break ( return first coordinate break with pick-up settings -1 )

Then use COMP or CPAR to tilt or rotate or any other kind of properties!

I hope this information was useful for you.

Kind regards,

Christian

Hi David,

Please see attached zip. I have tried to simplified the TDE (as you suggested with only TTHI 3 and COMP 8 but still cannot get the compensator kick in.

Could you try and let me know if got the same thing?

Thanks a lot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @icybird,

I’ve tried to run a tolerancing on your file and the compensators seems to be updated. Here’s the result of 100 run with RMS Spot Radius (DLS optimization):

I also checked the Best/Worst files and the compensators were modified accordingly. Can you confirm how you setup your tolerancing? For the result above, I’ve used the following:

If you were using Comp: Paraxial Focus, you should be aware of the following limitation (from the Help File):

If “Paraxial Focus” is selected, only the change in paraxial back focus error is considered as a compensator; all other compensa- tors are ignored.

I suspect it might be the issue because your last screenshot has a column Back Focus Change.

Take care,

David

Hi David,

Thank you so much for trying it out and the hint, very helpful!