Solved

Clear Aperture In Non-Sequential Mode

• 16 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello Zemax Community!

I’m using Non-Sequential mode and trying to accurately model a series of optics with defined clear aperture and mechanical diameters.  I can see within the object editor that the clear aperture is responding to changes I make, but rays are still being traced beyond it’s specified value.  Is there some ray tracing function I need to enable?  Essentially I want ray to not pass the clear aperture.  But they are currently.  Please let me know if you need additional information.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Jeff

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 17 January 2024, 10:29

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jeffrey.Strecker 

In general, I see the Clear Aperture as “where the rays are intended to pass”. But what happens to the rays that fall outside the Clear Aperture is unclear. They could be absorbed, reflected, ...etc. This is why you don’t automatically get the behaviour you expect.

One thing you can do, is change the Face Coat/Scatter properties. In the Object Viewer, you can see that the Side Faces have an ID of 0 (look at the top-left corner):

In the Object Properties, under the Coat/Scatter tab you can change Face 0, Side Faces Is Absorbing:

OpticStudio will then terminate the rays that fall outside the Clear Aperture:

I hope this helps and take care,

David