Skip to main content

I’m trying to simulate a chrome-on-glass target in non-sequential mode by assigning a OD transmission coating to each dark face as shown in the image below.

When I import the CAD as step file, all the surfaces above 50 are all assigned to face 0. It’s like there are only 50 faces allowed? Is there any way around this?

I’ve tried importing with .igs with the same problem.

Importing with .stl doesn’t include the individual faces.

any suggestions or pointers?

@John.Hygelund 

Just a quick thought. Could you break the CAD part outside OpticStudio and have multiple CAD objects with max. 50 faces in OpticStudio?

Take care,

David

@John.Hygelund:

If you are only interested in modeling target absorption and don’t need the reflection from the chrome, then perhaps you can avoid a CAD object all together and just use a slide object?  Presumably you can adjust the gray scale values of the attenuating pixels to match the OD of your mask.  One slide object can yield 8-bit intensity modulation (i.e., OD 2.4).  Two adjacent slide objects can provide 16-bit modulation (i.e., OD 4.8), which should be good enough to simulate chrome-on-glass. 

Here is a simple 2 x 2 pixel mask (PNG format) that I generated in Matlab.

Just a thought…

Regards,

Jeff

@Jeff.Wilde ,

Thanks for your suggestion. I should have mentioned that I’ve currently implemented this via a ‘slide’, but I wanted to model the reflections and validate the CAD geometry (from which the actual target will be produced). 

The slide object is very powerful and I use it frequently, but I hadn’t thought about doubling it up. Thanks for that idea!

@David.Nguyen ,

Good idea, that worked. Thanks!

Hi,

A little late as you already have an answer, but you can also group the surfaces (the individual geometrical element) per properties in something like 4 faces (entities sharing the same properties) only in your object: edge, back face, front transparent and front black.

Select using the object viewer and then change the face number to faces 0-3.

@Ray , thanks for your idea. I didn’t try that, but I will next time.