Solved

CAD export error

I want to export to CAD, but Surface 2 failed to export.

How to export to CAD? 

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 7 July 2022, 17:19

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi YoungDae,

Based on your screenshot, it seems you are not using the ACIS Libraries (this setting can be toggle under Setup..Project Preferences..General..Use ACIS Libraries). Because I can partially see the Tolerance field, which shows 1.00E-4 in your screenshot.

If you use the ACIS Libraries, OpticStudio manages to export the volume (I’ve attached the STEP file to my answer). However, the volume is formed by the surface covered by the rays:

Therefore, the overall geometry of the volume doesn’t correspond to what you would see in your sequential Shaded Model:

To be honest, I don’t know how to adjust your file for that. I guess someone like @Flurin Herren can help in this regards. But, since your part is actually relatively simple, it can be modelled in the non-sequential mode with something like:

The idea is to create a standard lens from your mirror parameters, which will form a volume, and then subtract this volume from an off-axis cylinder (corresponding to your aperture):

The resulting Boolean Native is shown in green below and can easily be exported without problem (I’m also attaching my file and the resulting STEP to my answer).

Hopefully that gets you sorted. Take care,

David

Thank you! Your reply was helpful to solve my problem :)

Badge +3

Hi YoungDae,

Thanks for posting in the Forum here. As David already correctly listed:

• If we use the SMS Library, the export fails. This is most likely due to the fact that the geometry modeling kernel runs into a problem recreating the geometrical shapes of your mirror given the aperture settings in the Surface Properties of Surface 2.
  • Even though the ACIS library is able to generate a shape with no warnings, the faulty geometry which you can see on the exported STEP file is rooted in the same problem.

• So in my opinion David has already listed the best alternative and this is to recreate the mirror with a Boolean Operation in Non-sequential.

Let me know if you have any follow-up question or you need help to set up the Boolean System.

Have a great week,