Solved

Asterisk Next to Semi-Diameter Value

• 1 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi I am curious if anybody in the community knows what this means, I’ve never seen it before…. 

After optimizing the mechanical semi-diamter and chip zones on this surface disappeared and an asterisk appeared next to the clear semi-diameter value. I’m not sure what’s going on here… I had a pickup solve for mechanical semi-diameter on the following surfaces and when this happened them seem to have automatically changed to picking up the clear semi-diameter. 

Thanks

EDIT: The radii for the two adjacent surfaces (of the surface in question) in the image were getting very small, almost hyper-hemispherical, and when I manually changed them to a larger value the mechanical semi-diameter came back and the asterisk went away…. still curious what happened if anybody knows. 

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 1 November 2023, 22:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It means the surface is hyper-hemispheric, or folding back in over itself. It’s a problem, because there may be more than one real solution to the ray intercept equation.

Thanks, Mark! Makes sense - it did appear to be hyper-hemispheric and as soon as I decreased the curvature of that surface it was fixed.

Thanks for taking the time to satisfy my curiosity!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

My pleasure!