Solved

appearing/adding by Zemax of additional objects after SC to NSC conversion

• 5 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I am learning how to convert a simple lens to NSC mode. Here is a screenshot of the SC mode

and here after converting 

For each field, Zemax added a light source and detector. However, I wonder what is the aim of null objects (layers 6 and 7) and why Null object 7 is the reference object for all 3 detectors. To check what happened, I deleted those two objects and got an error message. What is the function of those two Null Objects in this simply modulation?

Regards,

Marzanna

icon

Best answer by cynthiapadt 6 May 2023, 01:10

View original

1 reply

Badge +4

Hi Marzanna,

The Null Objects are representing the image plane of the system, which is stated in the comment of Null Object 7. Null Object 6 represents the back thickness of lens 5. If you take a look at the Z position of the detectors, they are all at 0. This is because they are referencing the position of Null Object 7. 

NSC mode uses a global coordinate system, so every object has a coordinate value (x,y,z). In Sequential Mode, the default is local coordinates meaning the location of each object is defined by the thickness of the preceding object. 

If you would like to remove the Null Objects you may, you will need to specify the image plane location in the Z Position of each of the detectors. 

Hope this helps!

-Cynthia