Solved

About the simulation of laser pulse

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to know how the laser pulse looks like after it is reflected by a target. Can zemax perform such a task? An example is attached. The blue one is the transmitted pulse, and the red one is the received pulse at a certain distance. I want to know the shape of the red one , i.e., the energy variation with time, through zemax simulation, is it possible? Thank you in advance!

Yingjie

laserpulse.png
icon

Best answer by Sahil 7 May 2021, 15:49

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thank you for posting in forum !

No, it is not really possible to set a pulse duration or pulse length for a laser source. OpticStudio does not really have time dependant analysis except for the polarization map.

To do such an analysis though, you could use our API. An external program such as Matlab or Python could send pulses at given time, OpticStudio will give the result and then Matlab/Python could process it.

To learn more about our API, we have created a learning path: https://my.zemax.com/en-US/learning-paths/

Let us know if that helps and do not hesitate if you have any further questions.

Sahil Rajan

Thank you for the guidance, Sahil. When I have problems during the implementation, I'll come back to you.

All the best,

yingjie

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello Yingjie,

My colleague Julia zhang has made an example could solve or provide you a reference to go ahead.

210510-181605-image.png 

The left plot in the video shows varying laser pulses(amplitude) over time, the right plot shows the changing illuminance in detector.

210510-180452-image.png

The example is based on the sample file Diode sample.zmx, located in the folder: C:\Users\...\Documents\Zemax\Samples\Non-sequential\Sources. You can use any optical setup based on your requirement . It also produce a small video in avi format .

The full code is available within the Code Exchange here: 

Please feel free to let me know if you have further question on it.

Regards

Sahil Rajan

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This is great! Thanks Sahil! (and Julia)

Thanks a lot, Sahil and Julia!