Solved

A source lamp with absorption inside a reflector cavity

• 18 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I am modeling a cavity reflector which have 3 holes, one it is the output, the others are due lamp connections and water cooling.

I want to model a lamp which absorbs the rays reflected by the reflector cavity and cross the lamp.  I use a source tube and defined a annular volume, concentric to source tube and with smaller external radius, and defined an absorbing coating on the external annular body  surface.  Doing it ZEMAX start to transmit rays out of the reflector on surfaces which were defined as mirror at material.   I inspected all the objects and all are defined as 'never' at Ray trace ignore object option.  When replacing the  source tube (and removing the annular absorber)  by a source volume, the mirrors work properly.   How can make the source to be transparent to rays emitted and absorbs the rays reflected by the cavity and crossing the source volume/surface?

Best Regards,

Adrian

icon

Best answer by Thomas Magnac 23 June 2020, 13:40

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Adrian,

You can ignore an object on launch, so your tube is ignore on launch, and absorbing later:

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your fast response.   I tried to implement it but the arrow for change the Rays ignore objects is gray. 

Best regards,

Adrian

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Oh yes! I forgot to mention you cannot do that on sources.

What you have to do is create an absorbing cylinder around your source and set the source to be inside of [don't forget about the ''inside of'' column in the editor] the cylinder. the absorbing cylinder is set to be ignored at launch.

Hi Thomas,

I added the absorbing  cilinder concentric to  the source  and with bigger radius.  I defined the source inside using 'inside of 'and now the reflector is not working properly.  The only one ray defined is not reflected by the reflector, which is really strange.   Any suggestion to make the reflector reflects the ray and then absorved by the cilinder or couple to the fiber?