Converting CAD data of the TIR lens into the parametric surface for optimization in NSQ mode

• 28 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

It is common for illumination design to have complex shapes which are difficult to describe by a mathematical formula. For example, custom collimators, waveguides, reflectors, and so on could be represented by freeform curves. When such optical components are designed in a CAD program, we can't optimize their shape in Zemax after importing CAD files.

To overcome this issue, I provide an example of how to convert CAD data of a TIR lens into a parametric surface and optimize it for light collimation.

In this example I’m using TIR lens. It consists of TIR surface and refractive surface, as shown below.

Reference: Pencil of Rays

First, we will fit TIR surface.

Zemax has a Freeform Z object, which is formed by drawing a cubic spline curve through a series of points in the YZ plane:

Our target is to retrieve these YZ pairs from a solid model cross-section via cubic spline interpolation. Spline interpolation can be done in python using scipy.interpolate.CubicSpline(Z,Y):

Cubic Spline Interpolation

After interpolation, we choose the number of points for Freeform Z. I found it is sufficient to set this value between 10 to 20 points based on the curvature complexity.

Second, I use aspherical surface to fit a refractive part of TIR lens.

Next, we can get a complete parametric representation of TIR lens by Freeform Z and Aspherical lens:

CAD data fitted by Freeform Z and aspherical lens

Finally, to optimize TIR lens for light collimation, I use NSRA operands targeting Y-cosine to be zero:

TIR lens optimization 

This method can be applied to any CAD data with rotational symmetry. For non-symmetrical lenses, we can apply similar approach by using Grid Sag.

Regards,

Mykyta

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @nikitasatcik !

I think you may have forgotten the attachment.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, @Sandrine Auriol.

I have uploaded a python script on github:

https://github.com/nikitasatcik/cad-interpolation/tree/master

This simple script performs interpolation of a solid model cross-section via cubic splines:

1. First, you have to get your CAD model cross section and save it as a CSV file.
  2. Next, use get_xy_curve_from_csv(path) function to read the CSV file containing pairs of x and y values. 
  3. Then create a cubic spline interpolation object cs.
  4. Finally, use  plot_xy_curve(x, y, cs, npts) method to visualize the data and the fitted curve.

There are many methods how to get a cross-section of  a solid object. It depends on the CAD program you’re using. I prefer to obtain cross-section as control points of a NURBS curve:

Hope this will help. Let me know if any other details are needed.

Best Regards,

Mykyta

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

HI @nikitasatcik! I have moved your post to the Code Exchange. I hope that is ok for you.