My team is currently looking into improving our stock optics features, and we want users’ feedback to help direct our efforts. If you use off-the-shelf optical components in your design, we’d like to hear from you!
Please comment below with a summary of how you use stock optics in your design. In particular, I’d like to know your answers to the following:
- What are the types of systems you design using stock optics? Within those systems, which types of stock optics do you use (e.g. lenses, filters, prisms, splitters, etc.)?
- Describe your design workflow. At what point in your design do you start considering stock optics, i.e. do you start with specific optic(s) you already have in hand or do you wait until the final design and then search for the optics closest to your specification?
- After you have identified the optics you need for a system, how do you search for each component (for all types of components, not just lenses)?
- Do you tend to order from one specific vendor or shop around multiple suppliers? Why?
- What are you biggest motivators when purchasing stock optics, e.g. price, availability, performance, etc.?
Please respond by end of February. We may reach out to you via email if we have more questions.