Solved

Simon Aldred

• 15 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I would like to model a tilted flat glass plate to look at rays being transmitted and reflected from the surfaces - to investigate the behaviour of primary and secondary transmitted rays. I can do this separately in sequential mode but wonder whether it could be done simulataneously. For the reflected rays I make the first and fourth surfaces standard non mirror surfaces and second and third surfaces mirrors. This works well, but it would be even nicer if I could show transmitted and double reflected rays on the same view. An additional plus would be to model a range of tilt angles simultaneously - assume that multiconfiguration would be needed for this. 

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks 

Simon

icon

Best answer by David 15 August 2022, 21:29

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Simon,

If your license gives you access to non-sequential mode, it would be a good way to do this. In the attached file, two Source Ray sources send single rays through two Rectangular Volumes of glass. Setting Minimum Relative Ray Intensity in System Properties to 0.001 limits the traced rays to two reflections in the plate. Rays are traced with splitting on and saved to a Ray Database. A Ray Database Viewer set to Expand Into Branches allows you to see each path and determine the resulting ray intensity.

Badge +1

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Your solution sounds interesting. I have downloaded your file but am getting an error about a ray database not being selected. 

Regards

Simon

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Simon,

I suppose the ray database file is not included in the ZAR. You will need to run a ray trace with splitting turned on and the option to save a ray file checked. Then the saved ray file will be available to select in the ray file viewer.