Solved

Problems with Version 22.1

• 17 February 2022
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1

Yesterday I installed the newest version of Zemax, after the that I couldn’t run Zemax anymore since everytime I started it it froze during the “Copy Data to Zemax Folder”-step Zemax does when you start it the first time after an update.

A collogue of mine had initially the same problem, but in his case restarting the PC solved it.

In my case the problem persisted after the restart and I got Zemax only working again by reinstalling the previous Version.

Does anyone else has this problem with Version 22.1 and is there a solution.

icon

Best answer by Don Dickinson 10 February 2023, 19:10

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello! 

Usually the file copy stage doesn’t fail until the C: drive is full or if it has problems saving to the Documents folder. Can you right-click the Document folder and select properties and then “location” and send a screenshot as below? 

Userlevel 1

Here is the Screen Shot.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks!

That is just the standard location for Documents, so that should be ok. To confirm OpticStudio is using that as well, open Setup > project preferences > folders, and see if “data” on the first line is set to c:\users\achazi\documents\zemax

Userlevel 1

That seems also to be set correctly.

Userlevel 3
Badge

/ Good day,

I didnt realize you replied on this, the notification went to my spam for some reason.The install process hasn’t changed in a long time, so i’m surprised something would suddenly come up like this with a new release. 

Everything looks good so I am not sure what causes it to hang. Considering this happened to another person there, perhaps something is blocking it from copying files?

Worst case you can attempt to copy the new files manually after installing. Copy all the files /folders within C:\programdata\zemax to your C:\users\achazi\documents\zemax folder. Overwrite the existing files with the new ones.  

Userlevel 1

Thanks,

I will give that a try.

Userlevel 1

Hi,

now it finally worked after restarting the PC 2 times.

Userlevel 1

Hallo,

today I made an up date to the version 22.1.1. an ran into the same problem.

I need to restart the PC about 5 times until Zemax was finally running.

To copy the files and folder manually didn’t help at all, since Zemax was still started to copy the files again after starting.

Userlevel 1

I ran today again in the same problem with version 23.1, with the last versions restarting the PC once was usually enough to get it to work, but this time even after 4 or 5 restarts Zemax wasn’t running.

I had to reinstall the previous version to be able to work (which worked directly without updating the Zemax Folder).

I’m not sure how Zemax detects if the Folder is up to date, but I’m starting to suspect that this is were the problem might be.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Zemax checks this file. Deleting it will cause Zemax to copy again the files in the folder.

Userlevel 1

Zemax checks this file. Deleting it will cause Zemax to copy again the files in the folder.

Thanks.

is there a way to update the version.log by hand if that for some reason the problem?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I don’t know about that sorry. @Don Dickinson could you help?

Userlevel 3
Badge

The version.log is automatically flagged with the current version information when the file copying is complete. 

So there is nothing you can manually set there. Better to resolve the file copying problem if possible to ensure the data files are always updated. 

This should really be a support case instead of a community issue so we can help more directly and not in public. You can open a ticket in your Zemax profile page

Userlevel 1

This should really be a support case instead of a community issue so we can help more directly and not in public. You can open a ticket in your Zemax profile page

OK