Solved

Problems with renewed Zemax license and new license format

• 1 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello,

we renewed our zemax (OpticStudio Pro SUL perpetual with seperate annual support license) license and the license number changed with the new license. We did not receive an activation code, but we were able to create a .lic file. What are we supposed to do with this file? Zemax is only asking for activation code.

old license number has this format: Lxxxxxx

New licence number: 1-1425392xxx (last three digits are xed)

Zemax knowledgebase doesnt seem to know this license key format. No (working) info on how to install the new license. And I cannot open support tickets, even though I am listed as user for the license.

Could anybody point me to a way on how to activate the software? Do we need to install the ansys network license manager software? My admin has already spent some time on this topic and is blocking any further help unless I get a proper tutorial which works with our license key format.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Don Dickinson 2 August 2023, 18:40

View original

5 replies

As it turns out there are the old legacy version of zemax und the new ansys version.

And the new keys are for the ansys version, i wld assume there will be no new legacy keys in the future.

It is described in this article:

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/6621657653907-Ansys-Zemax-license-server-installation-and-activation

Please amend the knowledgebase article and explain this issue, especially that zemax (legacy zemax with legacy license) and the licensing software needs to be deinstalled and then downloaded from ansys and then installed again. It seems kinda obvious now that we done it, but one just assumes that the software is the same, even though the license number is different.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello!

I’ve enabled support access so you can open tickets in Zemax.com. If anyone else needs support they can register here:

https://www.zemax.com/register-for-support

Glad you got up and running.

The ansys server setup article already says “They will also need to install the Ansys version of the Zemax application applicable to your license (OpticsBuilder or OpticStudio) as "legacy" Zemax versions are not compatible with Ansys licenses.  “ Is there something else it should say, or another article that should also clarify this? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

One last thing - now that you got your Ansys license working, please transfer L128696 back to sales@zemax.com? It was replaced by the ansys license and needs to be returned to Zemax. . 

If you have already removed the legacy Opticstudio version, you could just reinstall Zemax license manager temporarily to see the license and do the transfer. https://downloads.zemax.com/Downloads/ZLM23.2_2023-06-07.exe

Hello Don,

thank you for your replies.

Now that my ansys software works (is it still called zemax?) why do I need to return some license to zemax? It works so from my side its fine. We have two different licenses here if i understand it correctly, a single user license which is perpetual for the software, so we ‘bought’ a zemax software and additionally we have a support license which is renewed yearly. Which one needs to be returned and why and what happens if we dont do anythin?

And anyhow, why do users have to suffer from a zemax - ansys internal change. Just do this internally or send people depending on their license model an email with instructions on what to do.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello, I just saw your reply.

The purchase of the Ansys Opticstudio license was an exchange for the old Zemax perpetual license and was discounted due to that. From our perspective you only own one license now.

Sorry we cannot remotely disable or take back the legacy licenses for you, thta’s why it’s requested you return it. Sorry your account manager didnt make that clear when purchasing it or provide return instructions. I am not sure what they do if the old license is not returned. 

If you have any questions about this, please reach out to your Zemax account manager Alvaro Garre