Solved

Zernike wavefront error

• 13 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I have a question about Zernike coefficients.

When working with Zernike Standard Phase surfaces, the Zernike coefficients given by Zemax are wavefront error, is this true? In that case, we know the formula:

Wavefront error = absolute error - wavefront contribution of the reference field (reference sphere)

Is is possible to obtain the reference sphere from Zemax, and by substituting in the equation, obtain the absolute wavefront? Is there a way to obtain the absolute wavefront from Zemax?

In my case, I have the absolute wavefront from one surface and I want to transfer it to Zemax to simulate the same surface, do you think it would be possible? Which steps do I need to follow?

Thank you very much,

Alicia

icon

Best answer by Jeff.Wilde 14 June 2022, 08:33

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

For an imaging system, the overall wavefront error is defined to be the difference between the actual wavefront in the exit pupil and the reference sphere (note: the location of the exit pupil relative to the image plane can be found in Analyze -> Reports -> System Data).

I think what you may be asking about is simply fitting a measured surface wavefront error with Zernike polynomials for use in OpticStudio (this is the error in the surface shape relative to the nominal design target, typically measured in waves).  That can be done using third-party software (e.g., Matlab).  Attached are a few pages from a reference that describes the fitting process (Numerical Simulation of Optical Wave Propagation, by J. Schmidt); it may be helpful.  You can then enter the coefficient values into the Zernike Standard Phase surface for simulation.