Solved

Zemax equivalent to Code V Anamorphic Asphere surface?

• 4 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

As far as I can tell, the Zemax Biconic Zernike surface is NOT defined in the same way as the Code V Anamorphic Asphere.  The Code V conic portion is the same as the Zemax Biconic surface.  However, the Code V aspheric terms are defined differently: 

sag z = (Zemax or Code V biconic formula)  +

​​​​​​​AR{ (1 - AP)x^2 + (1 + AP)y^2 }^2 ​+ BR{ (1 - BP)x^2 + (1 + BP)y^2 }^3 + 

CR{ (1 - CP)x^2 + (1 + CP)y^2 }^4 ​+ DR{ (1 - DP)x^2 + (1 + DP)y^2 }^5

where

AR, BR, CR, DR are the rotationally symmetric portions of the 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th order deformation from the conic, and

AP, BP, CP, DP are the non-rotationally symmetric components of the 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th order deformation from the conic.

So my question is:

1. Is there a macro available to translate a Code V anamorphic asphere surface into a Zemax Biconic Zernike surface?

2. Or, is there a Zemax DLL that emulates the Code V anamorphic asphere?

Thanks, Mike

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 4 January 2024, 21:43

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Try the Composite Surface feature. If we’d done it that way in the beginning there would be maybe 10 surface types today :-)

But to your questions, (1) I’m not aware of such a macro and (2) sure a DLL can do anything so it’s a great way to define a surface that isn’t natively supported. But the Composite Surface is better.

• Mark