XY scan

• 9 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello,

in old versions of Zemax there was the tool 'illumination XY scan' under 'Extended Sources Analysis' in sequential ray tracing.

Where can I find this tool in current version?

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello Mamoun

From what I can see, it is no longer available and was replaced by the Image Simulation:

Can the Image Simulation do what you are looking for?

Sandrine

Hello Sandrine,

Thank you for your quick response.

I want to analyze the image of a 'slit source' in either X or Y. This was easily achieved with Scan XY.

Unfortunately, the new 'image simulation' does not allow us to see a cross-section in one direction or to save the results in a text file (see screenshot).

However, the cross-section is possible with the 'geometric image analysis', but it does not take diffraction into account.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Mamoun

I did a little more research about the “Illumination XY Scan” function and this feature been removed since OpticStudio 14. The “Image Simulation” function can be used instead but as you were saying, it doesn't give direct cross-section illuminance data for the image plane. Instead it produces a photo-realistic representation of the output image for imaging systems.

One way to plot the cross section is to save the image:

Then and sorry because this is not straight-forward you can use this free tool called https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/. This tool allows to measure a profile of an image. So for example here:

I will report these limitations to our product team. I know we have in mind to have such an equivalent tool tool in OpticStudio.

Sandrine

Hello Sandrine,

I think your suggested method suits me perfectly.

Thanks for your efforts.

Mamoun