Solved

What is the forum attachment file size limit?

• 22 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I would like to post something, with design files in ZARs in a Zip. What is the file size limit, please?

Edit:

To be specific, I would like to include a zar of a nonsequential design. The design file is 82MB, which compresses to 18MB in the zip file. The 82MB is really in the ZDA file, not the ZMX. I have tried to reduce this be tracing fewer rays, and by eliminating some windows, to no avail. I could of course post only the ZMX file, but then readers would need to reconstruct all of the analysis windows.

Is there any way to produce a smaller ZDA file but still preserve its ability to reconstruct the analysis windows?

icon

Best answer by Kevin Scales 2 January 2024, 22:26

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

For general reference, the maximum attachment file size is 25 MB and the largest inserted picture size is 5 MB. This is useful information to have out there.

You don’t have to remove the ZDA file to shrink your attachment, though that will certainly work. If you go to the System Explorer and look at the Advanced tab, you can uncheck the box ‘Include Calculated Data in Session File’. This means that OS will have to re-run any analyses when you start it up again, which could well take a long time, but you can usually reduce the file size dramatically this way, particularly in NSC mode where you often have a lot of ray data.