Solved

User-defined apodization

• 5 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi. 

I would like to manipulate the apodization type.

But I know, zemax supports only 3 types of the apodization type(uniform, gaussian, and cosine cubed).

In the manual, zemax suggests using the user-defined surface.

But I cannot convince that the suggested method can change the density of the rays over the entrance pupil. Because I cannot find examples of this.

Gaussian apodization(>0) gives the center-enhanced ray density like a mountain. 

Then, is there any method to make the ray distribution which has two peaks like the double back of a camel?

And, If I find the method to make this special ray distribution, is it possible that it is switched as an NSQ source?

Thank you for reading.

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 11 November 2019, 00:19

View original

3 replies

Hi Taeshin,

Is the post below any help?

Super-Gaussian Beam Simulation | Zemax Community

Thank you for your reply.

I've read the upper stated article and the zemax user manual about user-defined apodization.

I think the user-defined apodization can change the beam distribution by adjusting the transmittance but cannot change the density of the rays. Only the apodization aperture type can change the beam distribution with the ray density. 

Actually I want to try the beam shaping(below post) with other input ray density, not Gaussian distribution.

How to design a Gaussian to Top Hat beam shaper – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)

In this article, the lens was optimized with the density of the rays, not the transmittance. 

Of course, it is another problem to solve the relation between Gaussian and flat-top distribution. 

But, first of all, I want to change the apodization aperture type.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Kim,

Only the built-in apodizations modify the ray density. All others support transmission only. So, you can use say a slide surface colocated with a pupil plane to apply any kind of apodization to the beam you want. You must use an analysis that models the energy of the ray, not just it's position.