Skip to main content
Solved

System in scattering media

• 18 June 2024
  • 1 reply

I am working on a simple scatter detection setup. I have a source, a scattering media, and a detector that is located behind the source. I am somehow implementing the scattering wrong, but I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

As you can see in the first picture, I am seeing about 130,000 counts on the detector from backwards scattering. This makes sense, but as the second picture shows, when I put the source and detector inside the scattering media I can no longer get any detector counts. 

I tried to change the “Inside Of” column, but that didn’t work. I also tried playing around with the Volume Physics of the scattering media. I’ve tried Mie Scattering with different settings and Henyey-Greenstein, but it didn’t change anything. What am I doing wrong here?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Stephen8686 

Since you didn’t upload a file, it’s hard to see how you configured the scattering. One thing is certain though, if you want to put your Source inside the Rectangular Volume using the Inside Of flag. The Rectangle Volume needs to be above the Source in the Editor (the row number of the Rectangular Volume must be smaller than the Source). Also, in the settings of the 3D Layout, you can check Scatter NSC Rays to view the scattered rays.

I’m attaching my file for your reference.

Take care,

David