Solved

Surface not supported by OpticsViewer?

• 8 February 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I am using Optics Viewer and I found a problem to open a design from a colleague using Zemax. 

When opening the file, I have the warning: File contains surfaces not supported by this edition of OpticsViewer.  The surface that has changed from a  previous design that I opened without problem is a a birefringent surface at one lens. I can accept the warning and I see the design but the analysis results are not the same as my colleague is producing. 

Is any way there to open correctly a file with this kind of surface?

Thanks and best regards

icon

Best answer by Angel Morales 8 February 2021, 21:46

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Ana,

Thanks for posting on the MyZemax forums!

At this time, the Birefringent In/Out surface is not supported in OpticsViewer. Due to the way that OpticStudio handles tracing through the ordinary and extraordinary indices of a birefringent component, I don't think you'd be fully model the same kind of tracing in OpticsViewer. You would need access to an OpticStudio Professional or Premium license to fully reproduce the results of your colleague, as those are the license tiers that the birefringent surface is tied to.

Regarding the data that you need from OpticsViewer, is this something that your colleague would be able to share with you via some other means, such as screenshots of expected output? And are the results between the OpticsViewer and OpticStudio model more similar when the OS model just models the ordinary trace, rather than the extraordinary trace? If those are similar, you might at least be able to use OpticsViewer to partially evaluate the performance of the OpticStudio model, though again, you wouldn't really be able to fully recreate the model without a Pro or Premium OS license.

Let us know how these thoughts work out for you, and thanks again for your post!

~ Angel