Solved

Study of Cherenkov photons from aerogel + quartz window

• 15 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi, i’m a physics student and i’m new to Zemax and i’m trying to understand if Zemax allows to do what i need and how to implement it.

I try to summarize the problem: 

I would like to implement a cylindrical geometry with coaxial cylindrical volumes. The full length in z is 5.6 m, i.e. z is in [-2.8 m , 2.8 m]

In particular i have a cylindrical layer made of aerogel (refractive index 1.03) with inner radius 90 cm and outer radius 92 cm. Then there is a region filled with argon (refractive index 1.0028) with inner radius 92 cm and outer radius 112 cm. Then there is  a quarz layer with inner radius 112 cm and outer radius 112.5 cm. Finally there is a cylindrical surface made of silicon at 112,5 cm. 

My goal is to consider a ultra-relativistic charged particle (like an electron or pion with momentum 5-6 GeV/c) coming from the center of the system (0 cm,0 cm ,0 cm) and to study the Cherenkov photons produced along the particle track in aerogel, argon and quartz.

The primary problem is to understand if itis possible to implement Cherenkov effect and make a particle to produce photons in the paterial. I heard that it is possible , bun i didn’t find anything of the user guide (where Cherenkov effect is not even mentioned). In addition (but this is a refinement), is it possible to also simulate Rayleigh scattering of photons in aerogel?

In addition, since i’m new and still have to learn more about how to  build geometries, i’m also having troubles implementing this geometry, despite the fact that it’s very simple.

If it doesn’t take too much time, could you provide me with a script implementing this geometry, please? 

One last thing. In the case the physical process can be correctly implemented, do you know if it is possible to  save on a .txt file the photon production points (x,y,z) in the materials and the impact points on the last surface?

Sorry if my questions may seem stupid, but as i said i’m new and i’m having troubles following the user guide.

Thank you in advance.

icon

Best answer by David 15 March 2022, 23:06

View original

4 replies

Edit: I had confirmation that Cherenkov effect is not implemented in zemax, but i have to generate photons in the points they are supposed to be emitted.

So the problem “simplifies”:

Now what i really need is just to implement the geometry with three cylindrical layers , generate photons from specific points to get them propagated and save coordinates (possibly as .txt files, but that’s not so important).

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

OS certainly does not model Cherenkov radiation, but it does model bulk scattering, including inelastic scattering where the wavelength changes. You can write your own DLL to model almost any type of scattering if the supplied models don’t do what you need.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Regarding construction of the geometry, the overlap rule could be useful. In non-sequential, when volumes overlap, the properties of the overlap region are determined by the volume which is defined last in the non-sequential component editor (NCE). This means that the concentric walled cylinders can be formed of concentric Cylinder Volume objects, with the innermost defined last in the NCE. To allow OpticStudio to keep this straight, they should also be identified using the Inside Of column in the NCE.

I attach an example in which three Cylinder Volume objects are nested to form a geometry similar to your description. Each layer has a defined property. In the attached example there is also a Source Volume Cylinder coinciding with the innermost cylinder. One ray is traced without splitting to a Ray Database which is viewed in a Ray Database Viewer to trace its path.

At basic level, you can find a MATLAB program for the “Generation of Cherenkov Photon Simulation” at:

http://www1.gantep.edu.tr/~bingul/zemax/src/cherenkov.m

This program generates a photon source file to be used in NSC mode in Zemax.

However, you need to model scattering seperately.

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005575662-What-scattering-models-are-available-in-OpticStudio-