Skip to main content

Dear all

There's a problem on my INF3 fiber simulation - NSC mode

Simulation doesn't run well with the torus volume. There's a large amount of power loss up to 99.6% when the lights propagate from source to last detector (calculated by detector at the right end of fiber).

INF3 Fiber (Rotation R = 200 mm)
Detector at the right end (=last detector), Rotation R = 200 mm

I just have verified that 'Total Power' varies as I change the value of 'Rotation R' from Torus Volume object.

NSC editor (rotation R = 50 mm)
Last detector (Tours Volume Rotation R = 50 mm)
Last detector (Tours Volume Rotation R = 20 mm)

I want to optimize 'Total Power' of last detector(the right end of fiber) to get maximum value. Total power at source is 1W.

In my NSC Editor, there are 3 truncated fiber (6-7 object: middle section of fiber, 8-9 object: curved section of fiber, 10-11 object: right section of fiber)

Variable setting

1 Au Cylinder which covers around a slight gap between middle section and right section of fiber. The gap is 0.1 mm. (this would be mentioned at question 2.)

Variables that I think should be optimized are as follows :

<Source Ellipse>: X position, Z position, Tilt About Y - Y position must be fixed. All the simulation components have same values of Y. (similar to X-Z plane simulation)
<Torus Volume(Core)>: X position, Rotation R, Stop Angle - I want to optimize only curve section of fiber, not straight section. 
<Torus Volume(Cladding)>: X position, Rotation R, Stop Angle - These are all pickup from same parameter of 'Torus Volume(Core)'

Consequently, there are 6 variables in total and optimization region would be only left section (curved section) of fiber.
I attached my Optimization Wizard and Operands.

Optimization wizard
Operands

(If we scale up 'radius r' to the order of 100 compared to 'Rotation R', It runs well without any power loss - efficiency is almost over 70%. However, It does not make sense because an actual fiber has very small radius. So, now I fix 'Front R' and 'Back R' of Cylinder Volume and only impose variation on Torus Volume.) 

My questions are as follows :

1. I usually do my optimization by Hammer Current. In attached photos below, my merit function does not arise from 0.00 during enough running time. I think I have to set 'Target' in <Optimization Wizard - Criteria Settings - Target>. However, flux has different unit, lumen, and Total Power's unit in detector viewer is Watts. I know 'luminous flux = power(W) x luminous efficacy(lm/W)'. 
Then, what is luminous efficacy of Source Ellipse in Zemax ? I would put my own flux criterion by calculating the above expression (luminous flux).

If there are any other suggestions for optimization operands, all recommendations are welcome.

2. I displace a Cylinder Volume(the object #5) on slight air gap region(0.1 mm), and also try to set material of this object as Au. However, I cannot find the way to add absorption coefficient of material. Is it possible to set absorptive material in Zemax? (I already know how to use coating in absolute thickness. But I wonder if the cylinder is coated in radial direction, inside or outside)  

cf)
add material INF3_CORE, INF3_CLADDING (material catalog -> index data from Thorlab)

Index information comes from Thorlab - multimode fiber (INF3)
We design a fiber which is composed of CORE (refractive index: 1.489) and CLADDING (refractive index: 1.476) at source wavelength 3.3um.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Be the first to reply!