Solved

Question about zemax element drawing

• 24 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I try to use Zemax Element Drawing for my tolerance analysis report. However, I found the value of Radius tolerance after I clicked Reset from TDE are not consistent with values from Tolerance Data Editor.  The below picture shows that the tolerance for surface 1 is 0.0366 (note: my first surface is 2), however the TRAD for surface 2 is +/-0.1. Could someone explain what happened here?

Thanks,

Xiaolei

icon

Best answer by Christian Zimmermann 29 August 2023, 10:04

View original

3 replies

Hello xiaoleiwang,

having a look at the screenshot you added I expect given values to be tolerance on radius instead of radius iteself. There is a certain panel named “Tolerances” above the entries “Surface 1” … “Surface 3” and thus radius should be deviation from given nominal value.

I hope this answer is helpful for you.

Kind regards,

Christian

Badge

Hi Christian,

You are right, 0.0366, 0.0299 and 0.23 are all radius tolerance value (deviation from nominal design) for surface 1, 2 and 3. However the TDE shows that radius tolerance value for surface 1,2 and 3 are 0.1, 0.1, 0.32. Why they are not consistent?

Thanks,

Xiaolei

Hi Xiaolei,

you need to consider that “Min” and “Max” as given in Tolerance Data Editor (TDE) are meant as boundary values. Thus all possible numeric values according to a certain distribution (gaussian, parabolic, linear etc.) will stay within a determined interval [Min., Max] when applying a Monte-Carlo-Analysis. The results you obtained in your specific Zemax MC run for Surface 1 to 3 are in agreement with the chosen boundaries for Min. and Max.

Example Analysis:

Surface 1:  -0.1000 < 0.0366 < 0.1000

Surface 2:  -0.1000 < 0.0299 < 0.1000

Surface 3:  -0.3200 < 0.2300 < 0.3200     ( Note that TRAD on Surf4 differ from other surfaces before)

Keep also in mind that TRAD values for each “Monte-Carlo Scenario” will be randomly generated!

I hope this interpretation helps you.

Kind regards,

Christian