Solved

Position solve in multi configuration

• 28 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can one use position solves in the multi-configuration editor? They are not populated as an option in the ‘THIC’ operand. 

Thank you,

John

icon

Best answer by Csilla Timar-Fulep 31 August 2021, 11:43

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I’ve had the same issue, and wish they’d fully populate all the solve options in multiconfiguration.  Meanwhile, I’ve solved this by constructing position optimization targets in the MFE by using global operands like GLCX, GLCY, GLCZ.  I never assume any surface is (0,0,0), that will turn around and bite you.  I always solve positions as differences in global coordinates, either with zeros or with desired offsets.  HTH, Mike

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi All,

Thanks for your posts here on the Community forums!

Unfortunately, Position solves are currently not available from the Multi-Config Editor on THIC operands.

Besides Mike’s suggestion to use optimization targets, I can think of the following possible workaround for this scenario. In the Multi-Config Editor, you can select the ZPL Macro solve type on THIC operands, and write a ZPL macro solve that essentially does a position solve. It would take the thickness data of the previous surfaces, and then calculate the last needed thickness based on the set criteria and sets this calculated value. When using the ZPL Macro solve type, you may specify any macro to use as a solve by the name of the macro.

You may find more details about how to write macro solves in this knowledgebase article:
How to create a user-defined solve using the Zemax Programming Language (ZPL) – Knowledgebase

Also, I would like to let you know that there is an open feature request in our internal system for this functionality. I have gone ahead and added your votes to this feature request.
Please keep in mind that feature requests are weighed based on impact, difficulty to implement, and the number of users who request it. A request is not a guarantee that the feature will be added to a future release. However, these feature requests are very important to us and shape the future of OpticStudio, so we appreciate your input regarding desired functionality. Thanks again!

Finally, let me refer to the following forum thread about Thickess Solves and how to use them in multi-config systems:
Thickness Solves | Zemax Community

Best,
Csilla

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

+1 from me for providing ALL solves in the multiconfiguration editor.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your message and feedback.

I have added your votes to the multi-config solve feature requests in our internal system.

All the best,
Csilla

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Csilla,

Please add my vote to that as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi David,

Done, I have added your vote.

Please keep in mind that feature requests are weighed based on impact, difficulty to implement, and the number of users who request it. A request is not a guarantee that the feature will be added to a future release.

Thanks for your input.

Userlevel 1

Hello Csilla - Please add my vote to this request as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There is a workaround. Define several dummy surfaces, each with one variant of the position solve. Then in the MCE ignore all but one, and zoom which surface is not ignored.