Solved

POP settings

• 28 April 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello,

Could you please help me with a following question:

I modelled a simple spectrometer and I want to see how the slit width affect an image spot.

I see that POP plot and Huygens PSF plot look very different (attached)

So, I have 2 questions:

1. If I have no laser beam, no fiber coupling, but just ' ambient light' ,which POP settings should I use to see the diffraction effects from the slit with different width ?

I mean which Waist Size should I choose? Beam waist or Top hat ?

2. Why Huygens PSF plot looks quite unusual for the some wavelengths?

Thanks, Lena

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 30 April 2021, 11:01

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Lena,

I think you forgot to attach the picture. Would you mind sending it again?

The Huygens PSF is going to give the PSF of one field point. The software can then make the sum of different field points. So if the field points are defined at the slit, then maybe the Image Simulation would be a good tool. You can define a rectangular image representing the slit at the object. The software can then calculate a grid of Huygens PSF and make the correlation with your image. Have a look at that article that explains how it works: How to simulate high resolution images

I don't think POP would be needed if your source is just ambient light. POP treats the beam as an array of electric fields and considers diffraction to propagate the beam. POP is only needed in very specific instances when traditional ray-based geometric analysis or wavefront-based diffraction analysis are not valid. There is an article introducing POP here:Exploring Physical Optics Propagation in OpticStudio

If you can share your file (File...save as...zar), please open a case and we can have a look.

Thank you.

Sandrine