Solved

Pivot (Tilt-Decenter) optic surface/part at the bottom or top edges instead of geometric center

• 22 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello: Is there an easy way to use the Tilt/Decenter tool to pivot a surface at another pivot point but not at its center.

For instance: Ordinary tilt/decenter tool allows one to tilt/decenter the surface at its geometric center, whereas how to pivot a surface or a window for instance at its bottom edge?

In the reference as described below, under section ‘Tilt a lens about any point in space’: Taking the example itself, how can I choose the pivoting point to be either the front surface or back surface of the optic?

Fig 1: Pivot at center vs bottom edge

Reference: Tilt a lens about any point in space [Zemax KB: How to pivot any element about any point in space] - Erin Elliott

icon

Best answer by Chandan.Maurya 24 November 2023, 05:09

View original

2 replies

Hi,

I’m not sure if there is a better way of doing this, but I found that using the tilt/decenter tool twice seemed to achieve this.

Lets say that in your image OA is parallel with the z-axis, that OA corresponds to y=0, that the point you want to pivot around is located at y=-H and that you want to pivot A around the x-axis. Try:

1. Insert coordinate breaks with the tilt/decenter tool and put the first and the last surfaces such that they sandwich all surfaces you want to pivot. In the first coordinate break put “Decenter Y: +H”.
  2. Insert new coordinate breaks with the tilt/decenter tool and put the first surface to the first coordinate break from 1. and put the last surface to the second coordinate break from 1. In the first coordinate break from this step put “Tilt X: A”.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Asuku,

Attached Optics Talk may answer your query!

Infact, I found some of the documents attached in above optics talk is really helpful to understand the pivoting in sequential mode.

Thanks.