Solved

Operand for Percent efficiency in Geometric Image Analysis

• 7 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear all,

I have a circular symmetrical beam and I ‘d Like to have an operator which can say me the radius at which 80% of the energy if the beam is confined, namely the percentage efficiency is 80% in the Geometric image analysis

Is there such operator somewhere? I cannot find it

Thanks

Gabriele

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 7 September 2022, 14:12

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Gabriele,

What about any of the encircled energy fraction operands such as DENFGENF, or XENF?

DENF

Diffraction Encircled Energy (fraction). This operand computes the fraction of diffraction encircled, ensquared, x only, or y only (enslitted) energy at a given distance from the reference point defined by Dist. For focal mode, the distance units are micrometers. For afocal mode, the distance units are afocal mode units.
The options and settings are identical to DENC, except Dist, which here is used as the distance at which the fraction of energy is desired. See also DENC, GENC, GENF, and XENC.
If the Dist value defined is beyond the point where the encircled energy is very close to 100%, the fraction returned is 1e+10; this is done for optimization efficiency.

GENF

Geometric Encircled Energy (fraction). This operand computes the fraction of geometric encircled, ensquared, x only, or y only (enslitted) energy at a given distance from the reference point defined by Dist. The options and settings are identical to GENC, except Dist, which here is used as the distance at which the fraction of energy is desired. See also GENC, DENC, DENF, and XENC.

XENF

Extended source encircled energy (fraction). This operand computes the fraction of extended source geometric encircled, ensquared, x only, or y only (enslitted) energy at a given distance from the reference point.
The Type is 1 for encircled, 2 for x only, 3 for y only, and 4 for ensquared. When using Type 2 or 3, the fraction of energy in the PSF is calculated in the [-x, x] or [-y, y] range respectively, centered on the chosen reference point. This is the full slit width given by Dist. For example, if Dist = 20 µm, the fraction of energy is calculated for a slit width of +/- 10µm.
Wave is the input wavenumber. 
The options and settings are identical to XENC, except Dist, which here is used as the distance at which the fraction of energy is desired.
See also XENC, GENC, GENF, DENC, and DENF.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello David,

I had also thought, but I was unsure. Namely  what make me unwillin to try them immediately was the fact you cannot insert the surface number directly where yu want to calculate the encircled energy.

I thought there was another operator. ANyway you are right I can use them with a bit of more work on the Merit function.

Thanks a lot

Gabriele

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Gabriele,

I understand your problem now. I hadn’t realized the operands don’t have a surface parameter until now.

It is not super obvious, but you could also try to make a user operand that retrieves the fraction of encircled energy from the actual analysis and expose the surface setting, if that makes sense.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear David,

I thought to develop an operand which given the surface output the distance and use it as input for the GENF Operand.

Only difficulty: I have still to acquaint myself in programming but it can be a good start.

Thanks a lot

Gabriele