Objective lens implementation from patent

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi everyone,

Our lab is using a Zeiss 20X water immersion lens (Item no.: 421452-9800-000) in a custom light-sheet microscope, and I was trying to perform some simulations of the point spread function (PSF).

I searched for the patent of this lens, and potentially found something relevant at the German patent office (Application No. 10 2005 051 025.6). In this patent, Table 3 describes a 20X water-immersion objective lens with a 1.0 NA and 2.149 mm working distance. I’m copying this table here for your reference:

Surface number Radius Thickness Nd Vd

Water immersion
1 -9.039 4.80 1.519 64.0
2 -19.248 4.61 1.597 35.0
3 -9.576 0.40    
4 -101.598 5.00 1.440 94.6
5 -14.227 0.10    
6 64.011 5.50 1.440 94.6
7 -21.754 0.50    
8 58.715 7.00 1.530 76.6
9 -15.181 1.50 1.641 42.2
10 14.227 6.80 1.440 94.6
11 -53.084 0.10    
12 14.539 7.10 1.440 94.6
13 -68.788 1.77 1.561 53.8
14 89.771 0.39    
15 12.320 9.12 1.758 52.1
16 4.800 5.45    
17 -6.587 4.51 1.519 64.0
18 10.441 11.62 1.530 76.6
19 -12.958      

I have used the ZOS-API to populate this data into OpticStudio (code below) to potentially avoid copy/paste mistakes. Then, I made the following changes to my file (that I will also attach to my post):

• Thickness of Surface 0: 2.149 mm (the working distance)
  • Material of Surface 0: SEAWATER
  • Aperture Type: Object Space NA (dummy STOP on Surface 1)
  • Aperture Value: 1.0
  • Telecentric Object Space
  • Afocal Image Space
  • 3 Fields, uniform Object Height along Y between 0.0 and 0.2 mm
  • F, d, C (Visible) wavelength preset

And this is the result:

My problem is that the OPD Fan shows huge differences, above 50 waves, and the main aberration seem to be spherical. I was told long time ago that Zeiss used to balance some of the objective lens aberrations on the tube lens in a way that you’d have to buy both lenses from them (you couldn’t just get the objective lens and buy your tube lens elsewhere). But even if that were the case, I suspect I’m making a mistake somewhere. I also know that SEAWATER might not be the material that they used in the patent, but they also don’t specify which one they used. On the plus side, it seems that the STOP is located before the last doublet, or at least that’s where the rays seem constricted.

In the patent, they also show different tube lens design to be used with the objective lenses. I believe Table 4 is the corresponding tube lens, but when I use it, it gets even worst, so I thought it would be easier to troubleshoot the objective lens alone first.

Does anybody have any idea what I might be doing wrong, and how I could improve this design?

Thank you for your help and take care,

David

PS: its not polished, but for those interested this is the code I used after pasting the Patent data into a text file and correcting some abnormalities with whitespaces appearing before some minus signs

# Open text file
patent_text = open(filepath)

# Read every line in the text file
patent_text = patent_text.read().splitlines()

# Insert surfaces at index (surfaces appear before the specified surface)
insert_surface = 2

# Create a Model Glass solve
Surface_1 = TheSystem.LDE.GetSurfaceAt(1)
ModelGlass_Solve = Surface_1.MaterialCell.CreateSolveType(ZOSAPI.Editors.SolveType.MaterialModel)._S_MaterialModel

# Loop over every line and modify the OpticStudio file
for line in patent_text:
# Split the data at every line (or surface)
patent_surface_data = line.split()

# Insert new surface
surface = TheSystem.LDE.InsertNewSurfaceAt(insert_surface)

# Change surface radius
surface.Radius = float(patent_surface_data[1])

# Change surface thickness
try:
surface.Thickness = float(patent_surface_data[2])
except:
pass

# Change surface material
try:
# Change Model Glass parameters
ModelGlass_Solve.IndexNd = float(patent_surface_data[3])
ModelGlass_Solve.AbbeVd = float(patent_surface_data[4])

# Apply solve
surface.MaterialCell.SetSolveData(ModelGlass_Solve)
except:
pass

# Update insert surface index
insert_surface += 1

27 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi David! Thanks for starting such a great conversation :). And thanks to all of these great experts for responding!

That’s strange behavior re: the notification. I don’t have an answer but I do have a guess. The way the forums work is that they only notify you once (with a single email) about replies to a thread you follow, even if there are multiple. Once you log in and view the post again, that notification system resets and you will then be notified again for a future reply. Could you have had this thread open on an active browser window when the new replies came in? Or perhaps missed the initial notification? I am specifically not tagging you in this reply so we can test to see if you are notified.

By the way - I don’t think Sandrine and I were able to meet up about sharing your design file before she left the company. I just saw your question now while reading through this thread. I think there are two options for spreading this example if you want:

1. Write up a Knowledgebase article
  2. Send it in as a file to be distributed in the Zemax samples

Both of these options would put the file in the hands of Ansys Zemax, so if you want to make any changes you would have to go through us. If you think you’d want to revise it relatively often (at least 1-2x/year) then storing it on the forums would probably be better. I could make a sub-forum or a tag for you in that case. What do you think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Allie,

Thank you for your message. I did recieve a notification of your comment, so perhaps I missed one of the notifications before as you say. Sorry for bothering you with that, I’ll monitor the situation and if it happens again I’ll let you know.

Thank you for the suggestions about spreading this design. I don’t feel too comfortable about writing about this design, its only an implementation of a patent, and I don’t think I’m qualified for that. Perhaps we keep it here on the forum as you said. I struggled to find an immersion objective lens that fit our requirements before, that’s why I tried to implement the patent. I’m hoping that someone in the same situation in the future manages to find this post.

Thanks for your help gain @Allie and take care,

David