Solved

NSQ Detectors not recognized, ZEMAX crashes

• 9 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi!

I have found a strange bug in Zemax 18.7.

When I try to insert any detector in the NSC Component Editor it might not get recognized in Zemax. It’ still a Null Object:

After adding a second detector the editor seems to recognize the first one, but there’s still an exclamation mark and a red box.

Picking “Detector Rectangle” again in the drop-down menu brings us to this seemingly correct situation:

Zemax may crash then after a few more actions, and saving files results in a crash most of the time.

The crashes started after I inserted a EXCEL-Style (=3,2*3, =2,3*3) formula in the X / Y Pixels column. That’s not possible in the first place, so I’m glad that I could replicate that in the file with which I was working with during the first crash:

In fact, I can add any string for a pixel number:

Adding strings is possible for only a number of saved files (which are copies with a few differences), but not in other files, or in new files.

I can still perform a ray-trace with corrupted files, but the coordinates seem to be stuck on floating values.

Is there a way to fix that issue? Turning the computer on and off didn’t help ;-)

Glad for any help,
Michael

icon

Best answer by M i c h a e l 14 December 2022, 17:45

View original

3 replies

The problem persists after re-installing Zemax.

Error Log points to ntdll.dll and kernelbase.dll. I’ve sent the log to Zemax support.

Back in business!

Refreshing Windows did not help, reinstalling Zemax did not help, deleting version.log did not help.

Deleting (or renaming) Documents\zemax and reinstalling Zemax (to a different folder) did help.

See also here: