Solved

Non Sequental update changes every 3 seconds (very frustrating)

• 30 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear All,

I am working with a non sequential model of an optics containing a lot of sub parts so the number of lines is around 99 or more.

In consequence the update of every chaqnge takes around 2-3 seconds, which slow down the working speed considerably.

I upgraded the RAM frm 64 to 258 GB but no effects can be noticed.

Is there something else (except reducing the number of lines/optical elements) which I can do?

Thanks

Best regards

Gabriele

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 6 July 2022, 11:23

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Gabriele,

I don’t know if you are aware about this but you can change how OpticStudio reacts to updates in the Non-Sequential Component Editor. By default, OpticStudio updates All Windows. You can decide to have OpticStudio update Editors Only or even None, meaning nothing gets updated until you tell it to do so.

Hope this helps. Are you using native objects or also CAD objects? If you are using CAD object, you can try playing with their Chord Tolerance at the expense of raytracing accuracy. But you could have a different setting for when you are changing parameters and when you want to perform the final analysis.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello David,

thanks I didn’t notice this option. I have selected the editor only on my project but unfortunately there’s only an incremental improvement in speed. When I change a value in a cell I have still to wait 1 to 2 seconds before the change is applied.

Do you have in mind other possibilities for managing large designs (also hardware)?

thanks a lot

Best regards

Gabriele

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Gabriele,

You are correct, this option doesn’t technically speed up OpticStudio, it just avoids unecessary updates. Large designs are often specific in the way they need to be handled for efficient raytracing and updating. Therefore, uploading a version of your design here would be quite beneficial if you are looking to get more specific advices.

Have you had a go at the Chord Tolerance as I asked in my first reply? This would be relevant if you are using multiple CAD objects.

Another thing to consider is your Merit Function, what is it calculating, and do you need it to update everytime?

I hope this helps, and take care,

David

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello David,

thanks for your quick reply. 

Unfortunately I cannot upload the design sorry is Intellectual property relevant. About the Chord Tolaerance...the design contains only in built objects no external ones so also this option is discarded.

If you have other suggestions I will aprreciate, thanks.

Best regards and take care

Gabriele

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Gabriele

Have you tried working with the Express View? The Express View was added to avoid updates when changing values in the lens data editor, so to optimize speed.

A description can be found in the help files:

Let us know if that helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear Sandrine,

thanks for make me noticing it.

Anyway I ddn’t noticed any improvement compared to the status I had before (with all but editors updated).

Thanks anyway

Best regards

Gabriele

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’m surprised using the Express version of the editor made no difference. That implies it’s the actual update itself that’s taking the time. What solves do you have in the editor?