Solved

Multi-threading in Zemax:

• 28 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Multi-Threading in Zemax:

I am aware that Tolerancing operations and some Optimization benefit from Multi-Threading in Zemax 

Q1)  Which operations or functions benefit the MOST from additional CPU Cores & Threads ?

It is difficult to predict how effective additional $$$ spent on multi-threading CPU will impact Zemax.  My most recent milestones with high end work-stations are :  

In 2017   a workstation with ~ 6 cores & 12 threads was fairly typical

In 2018+ a  workstation with ~ 36 cores & 72 threads was considered a fast work horse 

Obviously there is a balance to be established between the number of cores & threads, as well at the speed of the CPU itself, and turbo options. 

Q2)   Here in 2023 what configurations of Cores / Threads / CPU speeds are people working with while running ZEMAX ?  Results ?

icon

Best answer by Kevin Scales 10 July 2023, 17:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

VERY good question!  I'll be following this closely.

Mike

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am also very much interested in this topic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

See New Computer Performance Advice | Zemax Community 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Mark’s link goes to a forum thread on this very topic. As for the computer configurations, maybe the community would like to share that information. Here at Zemax we have a variety of performance levels based on when we got our laptops, and all work well. My own computer is a fairly basic 2.50 GHz 8 core 16 thread processor from last year and it does a terrific job running cases.