Modelling a glass tube/pipe in sequential mode

• 2 July 2021
  • 1 reply

Hallo everyone,

I am struggling with modelling a glass pipe of a certain radius and with a given wall thickness in sequential mode. I have tried two biconic surfaces and applied surface apertures, but I get strange results in the upper and lower part of the pipe. I am quiet sure, it should be a common application to look inside a glass tube or calculating the EFL of this tube. Can anyone give me a hint how to cope with this problem or what sequential element is appropriate?

1 reply

Badge +1

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for posting on forum.

I think you should use a Toroidal surface or Biconic surface will work too. The effect is the same for either one. By using semi-diameters matching your outer and inner radii of the tube.

But It is difficult to produce hollow volume like a pipe in sequential mode.

However, I would suggest to use hybrid mode and insert a non-sequential component in your sequential mode such as cylinder pipe. I have attached a sample file foe the same.

To do this you might need some help regarding entry and exit poles .Entry and exit ports are described on the help page ‘NSC ray tracing in mixed mode (with entry and exit ports)’, at help path The Setup Tab > Editors Group (Setup Tab) > Non-sequential Component Editor > Non-sequential Overview >.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please let us know and we will be happy to help!

Best,

Udit