Solved

Mirror surface thermal analysis

• 26 May 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

I'm trying to analyze performance over temperature for a system that incorporates both curved mirror surfaces and lenses.  I understand how the 'Make Thermal' function works for air spaces and glasses using the values in the glass catalog and the TCE entry in the lens data editor.  However, I don't see how a mirrored surface is accounted for.  Is there a way to model how a curved mirror surface changes with temperature in Optic Studio?

icon

Best answer by Mike.Jones 26 May 2021, 05:48

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

With no backing substrate or thermal reference surface, Zemax just scales the curved surface radius, aspheric coefficients and semi-aperture by the TCE value you enter into the LDE.  When analyzing a series of mirrors though (a TMA for example), you also have to know how much the mirror thickness changes relative to some global thermal reference surface, like a rear mounting plate.  I solved this by adding a new user glass by name (e.g., 'BOROFLOAT33', 'ZERODUR10', etc.) that has the right TCE and density, and refractive index equal to one over a huge wavelength range, like 1E-6 microns to 1E6 microns.  Having RI=1.00000 has no effect on propagating rays in sequential mode.  Put the mirror substrate (say 'BOROFLOAT33') first, with the desired radius, aspheric coefficients and diameter, and with the right thickness.  Then insert a MIRROR surface immediately after it with a position solve to put the MIRROR surface exactly on the BOROFLOAT33 substrate, and do pickups on the MIRROR surface parameters.  The MIRROR surface will now expand and contract with temperature, and the substrate thickness will expand and contract with temperature as well. 

Userlevel 1

With no backing substrate or thermal reference surface, Zemax just scales the curved surface radius, aspheric coefficients and semi-aperture by the TCE value you enter into the LDE.  When analyzing a series of mirrors though (a TMA for example), you also have to know how much the mirror thickness changes relative to some global thermal reference surface, like a rear mounting plate.  I solved this by adding a new user glass by name (e.g., 'BOROFLOAT33', 'ZERODUR10', etc.) that has the right TCE and density, and refractive index equal to one over a huge wavelength range, like 1E-6 microns to 1E6 microns.  Having RI=1.00000 has no effect on propagating rays in sequential mode.  Put the mirror substrate (say 'BOROFLOAT33') first, with the desired radius, aspheric coefficients and diameter, and with the right thickness.  Then insert a MIRROR surface immediately after it with a position solve to put the MIRROR surface exactly on the BOROFLOAT33 substrate, and do pickups on the MIRROR surface parameters.  The MIRROR surface will now expand and contract with temperature, and the substrate thickness will expand and contract with temperature as well. 

Hi Mike,

Do you have an example of how you did this?  Maybe just a screenshot?