Solved

Insufficient Memory

• 7 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello! I was trying to run a raytrace but I was told there was “Insufficient Memory”. Is there any possibility for me to fix this issue? 

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 7 December 2021, 14:55

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Kai,

Are you able to share your file? I’m guessing you are using a lot of CAD elements, is that right? If so, I suggest reading the Chord Tolerance section of the Help File:

Chord Tolerance: This setting affects the rendering of the object. It performs a very similar function to the Drawing Resolution for OpticStudio native objects. To render the object, OpticStudio generates a list of triangles which approximate the object shape. The tolerance is the maximum allowed distance in lens units between a single triangle and the actual surface of the object. More triangles are added if the tolerance is set smaller which yields more accurate rendering, at the expense of speed and a larger memory requirement.

This setting is also used to provide a “first guess” as to the location of the ray-object intercept point. So the smaller the triangle the closer the initial guess is to the correct solution and the more likely OpticStudio will converge to the correct intersection.

The default value of zero will use a chord tolerance related to the size of the object sufficient to generate a coarse approximation of the object shape that will render quickly.

By changing the tolerance of your CAD elements, you may be able to reduce the memory requirements of your system. But it really depends on your system so I would encourage you to share your design file if possible.

Also, buying more memory could solve your problem, but most often it can be fixed before resorting to that.

I hope this helps, and take care,

David

Hi David, thanks for you help!