Question

Input data for bulk scatter

• 30 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi all,
I have a question, some materials with "light diffusion" properties offer a series of specific data for mass diffusive behavior and are characterized by specimen thickness. How do I enter this precise data into OS and call it up exactly as I would the data in Glasscat (ZTG)?
I attach sample.

I should add that now I'm using a merit function where I detect only the 50% value for n thicknesses characterized in the datasheet and this already takes up a lot of time, I would like to avoid using this methodology.

Thanks to all

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Luca.cellerino,

I don’t know these kind of materials/properties, but looking at your screenshot, you basically want your material to exhibit a transmission that is a function of the incidence angle and material thickness, is that right?

I also don’t understand what you are doing with your Merit Function.

But here is what I can suggest based on my current understanding of your problem.

You could use a ZPL solve on a dummy cell of the LDE, the solve would read the thickness of your surface, and based on this thickness, it selects a coating that has the right transmission.

Here is an example where I set a ZPL solve on the Chip Zone. The solve looks like so:

# Surface from which the solve is called
surface = SOSO(0)

# Corresponding surface thickness
thickness = THIC(surface)

# Change coating depending on thickness value
IF (thickness > 2.5)
SURP surface, COAT, "I.98"
ELSE
SURP surface, COAT, "I.95"
ENDIF

# Dummy return
SOLVERETURN 0

This means that on the surface where the solve is, it’ll retrieve the thickness value, and if the thickness is strictly greater than 2.5, it will apply an ideal coating with a transmission of 98 percent. Otherwise, it will put an ideal coating with a transmission of 95 percent.

In your particular case, you’d have to have multiple coatings that include the transmission as a function of the incidence angle (perhaps with a TABLE coating) for the different thicknesses, which is more complicated, but you could use Python/MATLAB to automate the generation of those coatings. You will also need a more elaborate IF-ELSE statement, again Python/MATLAB can help to write the ZPL code automatically.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Take care,

David

Hi David,
thank you for the quick response. It's actually very simple:
In an NSC environment, I define the thickness of an ideal specimen that the polymer supplier tested in an integrated sphere and characterized with particular diffusive properties and detected the decayed energy at different angle steps in proportion to what was detected with a perpendicular sensor to the radius. I enclose the ZAR file that I use to make OS calculate the "law" that regulates the dispersion inside the material.

Thanks