Solved

image aberration balance with unknown lens design data

• 25 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello everyone,

I’ve been racking my brain to try to figure out the image aberration balance method with unknown lens design data  method, which is

the camera is put at the final image plane, the current final image is not so good. the problem is the there is an unknown design in this optics train, so I can neither adjust nor redesign the latter components to balance the final image aberration. I come up with a method which is: i put an image aberration sensor at the first image plane, the sensor would read out the first image aberration in terms of Zernike coefficients, then I start a new design, i put a dummy surface  which contains the first image aberration in terms of Zernike coefficients at the first image plane position. and then I can adjust or redesign the latter components in this optical train.  Do this method make sense?

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 25 November 2022, 19:19

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It does, just remember you’ll need Zernike data for each unique (field, wavelength) pair.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Mark, what brand/type of  image aberration sensor do you recommend? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I don’t have a recommendation, sorry.

Userlevel 1

hi Steven

As a newbie to Optics, I am just wondering why is it necessary to insert  an image aberration sensor at the first image plane? ( latter components are using this as a [Object], I guess)

best regards

Yang

Userlevel 1
Badge

hi Steven

As a newbie to Optics, I am just wondering why is it necessary to insert  an image aberration sensor at the first image plane? ( latter components are using this as a [Object], I guess)

best regards

Yang

Hi Yang,

In this case, we used a Nikon microscope, yet we didn’t know the objective and tube lens parameters, we just used a 4f relay system to capture the image formed by Nikon optics.