Skip to main content
Question

How to translate a decentered group of elements along a tilted axis?

• 30 May 2024
  • 1 reply

I would like to translate a group of elements (output group on the right hand side) as shown in below schematic along the blue dashed axis.

1. If I change just the THICKNESS property between the two groups it will only affect the Z axis distance.
  2. Whereas, my intent is to translate the output group in XYZ space by maintaining the coaxial relationship between the two groups.

Thanks - AS

1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hi @Asuku ,

From my understanding, you solely want to move this group along a tilted axis, correct? 

If so, I think you should try using a pair of coordinate breaks around your inter-group spacing, like so: 

With a coordinate break on Surface 3, you can enter the tilt angle of your blue axis in degrees into the “Tilt About X” column (shown as “Par 3(unread)” in my image above), I picked 12 arbitrarily. You can also tilt about Y with the next column to the right if you’d prefer. 

In my example, when I adjust the thickness of surface 4, I am able to translate group 2 along the tilted axis, and then in line 5, OpticStudio straightens the group again with the pickup on Parameter 3 (Tilt About X). 

You can also use the Decenter X or Decenter Y parameters of the Coordinate Break surfaces if you would like to decenter the group before, or after, your translation along the tilted axis, if needed.

The easiest way to do the coordinate break would be to select your inter-group spacing surface (Surface 4 in my example) and use the Tilt/Decenter Elements tool from the toolbar of the Lens Data Editor. 

Best,

Nikki