Skip to main content
Question

How to set stop surface for a system with grating

• 29 May 2024
  • 1 reply

I want to build a toy model composed of a grating and a diaphragm, as in the following diagram:

Namely, the stop surface should be the diaphragm. However, when I build this model in ZEMAX under sequential mode, the stop surface is in the diffraction grating though I set it in the diaphragm plane. 

How can I modify those settings. 

Thank you. 

1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hi @hengzhe_yan ,

Would you be able to provide more information about your system?

What parameters are you wanting to use for your grating? From the way you’ve drawn your system in the diagram, it seems that you are expecting the diffracted rays to diffract towards each other, when the rays going through a transmissive grating should diffract away from each other (as the rays also appear to be doing in your Lens Layout). (See this KB article for some more information on How diffractive surfaces are modeled in OpticStudio – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)) If I am understanding your desired system correctly, this could make it difficult to create a system like that you described. 

Additionally, it may be easier to visualize what is happening in your system if you separated your STOP from your IMAGE, because as it appears in your screenshots, the Diaphragm/STOP are coinciding with the IMAGE plane. So, with some thickness on Surface 3, you may be able to get a better view of what is going on with your system, and where to go from here. 

Best,

Nikki