Solved

How to know optical format?

Userlevel 1

I wonder if there is a way to know the optical format (=film diagonal) for double Gaussian lens 28 provided by zemax as a sample.

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 31 May 2022, 12:42

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Kivahan,

If you open the Field Data Editor by double-clicking on Fields in the System Explorer. You can then browse the Fields properties by clicking the down arrow in the top-left corner of the Field Data Editor. Then, under Field Type, there’s a Convert To option. In the Double Gauss sample file, the field type is Angle. You can convert it to Paraxial Image Height for example. Note that it is a good idea to check that the lens performance hasn’t changed when converting to different field types (you can make use of the Lock feature available in most analysis windows).

If you perform the conversion, the maximum image field height becomes 24.8008 mm. Since the Double Gauss is radially symmetric, that makes for a diagonal of 49.6016 mm. I can’t comment for the performance of this lens, but I’d imagine this was designed for a full-frame sensor.

Let me know if this helps.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much for your answer. I am using the version of optical studio 16.5.
The change from the version I have to "Parallel Image Height" in the Field Data Editor works well.
However, Field 3 continues to show "14". And the Field Plot window does not seem to be supported.
Therefore, I could not get the value of "24.8008" that you mentioned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Kivahan,

Unfortunately, I don’t have OS 16.5 and I don’t remember what features it had. Perhaps the field conversion was added later?

For the purpose of determining the paraxial image height, you could also run a Analyze..Rays & Spots..Single Ray Trace with the following settings:

It is basically tracing the chief ray of the third field (at wavelength 2). In the second paragraph of results (Paraxial Ray Trace Data), the last line (12) gives you the Y-Coordinate:

2.4766264897E+01 or 24.8 (as expected)

I hope this works with 16.5!

Take care,

David

Userlevel 1

@David.Nguyen 

I succeeded in getting the correct optical format by proceeding as you told me.
Thank you very much for your kind reply even though you are busy.