Solved

How do you create a user defined lens shape?

• 8 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi, I need help creating a custom non-cirular lens shape in Zemax from a CAD import or a point cloud file that defines points on the perimeter of the lens. Is this possible, or is there another method? The lens shape was originally created in Solidworks and is not defined by any mathematical formula, freeform. Appreciate your help!

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 12 April 2021, 11:55

View original

4 replies

I found that you can create a custom aperture via a UDA file and X Y point. However the aperture perimeter is segmented. Is there a way to import a CAD file to create a user defined aperture in sequential? Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello Eugene

To create a non-circular shape, you can use the Boolean object. If it is used with a CAD object, I would recommend using the Boolean CAD. You can make a boolean operation on 2 CAD objects, if for example you import one CAD for the aperture.

Have a look at that article: How to use the Boolean CAD, Boolean Native and Compound Lens objects, and the Combine Objects tool and do not hesitate if any further questions arise.

Sandrine

Hi Sandrine, Thanks for your reply. Is your method possible in Zemax sequential? I have a simple plano-plano lens with a complex splined perimeter. Ideally, I'd like to import the CAD object and use it as the lens aperture definition in Zemax sequential. I don't see the same options as what is shown in the blog. Perhaps this is only available in non-sequential? Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Eugene

The boolean option only works in non-sequential mode. Sorry I had missed that in your message. In sequential mode, we only have the UDA file option. Let us know if we can help you create the UDA.

Sandrine