Solved

How can light be reflected out of a telescope system?

• 16 March 2022
  • 5 replies

I recently need to model a telescope system and I need lights to be reflected out of the telescope system .Howerver ,it’s like what is shown in the picture.

It seems that the reflected light is blocked by vertical light? How to solve this?

It seems that the reflected light is blocked by vertical light? How to solve this?

Many thanks !!

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 17 March 2022, 10:51

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi DDDD,

When these problems happen, I can only encourage you to share the design file by generating an archive: File..Create Archive, compressing it to a *.ZIP, and uploading it to your thread. It makes it much easier to troubleshoot.

Also, to me, its not clear what you mean by reflected light because we don’t know where your Source is. I can only guess it is the ellipse at the top. In the NSC 3D Layout settings you can Fletch Rays and Color Rays By: Segment #. It might help to describe your problem as well.

Take care,

David

Hi DDDD,

When these problems happen, I can only encourage you to share the design file by generating an archive: File..Create Archive, compressing it to a *.ZIP, and uploading it to your thread. It makes it much easier to troubleshoot.

Also, to me, its not clear what you mean by reflected light because we don’t know where your Source is. I can only guess it is the ellipse at the top. In the NSC 3D Layout settings you can Fletch Rays and Color Rays By: Segment #. It might help to describe your problem as well.

Take care,

David

Hi David:

Thanks for your advice!!

This is the file .

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi DDDD,

I had a quick look at your file, and this is what I can say.

First, I applied the settings I described above, and this is the layout I get:

Next, I’m assuming your problem is that the green rays reflecting from the left-most element (primary mirror) gets terminated, i.e. they stop in air. Correct me if that’s not what you meant.

When a ray is terminated, it is still drawn over a certain distance to get an idea of its orientation. By increasing this distance, one can have a better idea of why the rays were terminated in the first place. To do so, change the value under Setup..System Explorer..Non-Sequential..Missed Ray Draw Distance In Lens Unit to 1000.0. This is what you get:

As you can see, the power on the primary mirror is too strong. This causes the rays to converge well before the secondary mirror and thereby missing it completely. If you change the Radius of the second object (primariy mirror) to 2000 instead of 750, this is what you get:

The yellow rays are making it out of the telescope.

I just eye-balled the value 2000 and you probably need to optimize this value for your design.

Hope this helps. Take care,

David

Hi DDDD,

I had a quick look at your file, and this is what I can say.

First, I applied the settings I described above, and this is the layout I get:

Next, I’m assuming your problem is that the green rays reflecting from the left-most element (primary mirror) gets terminated, i.e. they stop in air. Correct me if that’s not what you meant.

When a ray is terminated, it is still drawn over a certain distance to get an idea of its orientation. By increasing this distance, one can have a better idea of why the rays were terminated in the first place. To do so, change the value under Setup..System Explorer..Non-Sequential..Missed Ray Draw Distance In Lens Unit to 1000.0. This is what you get:

As you can see, the power on the primary mirror is too strong. This causes the rays to converge well before the secondary mirror and thereby missing it completely. If you change the Radius of the second object (primariy mirror) to 2000 instead of 750, this is what you get:

The yellow rays are making it out of the telescope.

I just eye-balled the value 2000 and you probably need to optimize this value for your design.

Hope this helps. Take care,

David

Hi David:

Thanks for solving my problem!!!!