Solved

How can I create a lens surface from its power profile?

Hello everyone, I want to simulate the surface of a lens in Zemax OpticStudio. The data I have are in a notepad with two columns of numbers. The first column represents the positions of one meridian of the lens from -3.5 mm to +3.5 mm and the second column represents the average power of the lens in each of the positions. Then, the data should be extrapolated radially to create the rotationally symmetric surface. I attach an example .txt. Which would be the best option/type of surface to create the surface and how can I do it? This is the first time I have to do something like this and I need help, please

Thank you very much, kind regards

Alicia

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 19 May 2022, 18:11

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There’s no built-in feature that does that I’m afraid. If your table is of power, then remember that power = delta_n*curvature. The delta_n will be set by the materials you choose, so you can factor that out. So you’re left with curvature, which is the second derivative of the surface sag.

OpticStudio has the SCUR operand that targets the curvature of a surface at specified x,y. You could try defining a surface with sufficient asphericity, and then use an SCUR operand for each data point you have. The more knowledge you have of the base shape the better, since all you have are second derivatives.

HTH,

• Mark

Hello @Mark.Nicholson

thank you very much for your answer. I will try to solve it with the SCUR operand

Kind regards,

Alicia