Housing Material

• 3 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I'm doing a thermal analysis to an optical system.

The goal is to test different lens holders and housing materials, like aluminum, titanium, etc, and check the behavior of these holders on temperature variation.

Is is it possible, inside Zemax, to simulate metal materials (and do this thermal analysis) without using any external CAD file?

Feel free to ask in case you need more details of if I wasn´t clear enough.

Thank you.

Narciso

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Narciso,

What mode are you working in? Thermal analyses are typically performed in Sequential Mode. I have a few resources for you, based on this mode.

To start, OpticStudio is able to model metal materials. This is accomplished by applying a metal material as a coating as described here: 'How to define metal materials in OpticStudio.' Because metal is applied as a coating, you will need to utilize the TCEx1E-6 parameter to define the thermal coefficient of expansion for the mounts. 

Next, Sequential Mode requires that the rays reach each surface. This means we cannot have surfaces defined as metal mounts which the rays will (in general) miss in favor of moving through the lens. As such, you will need to define the mounts as extended spacers. We have two articles that exemplify this:

Let me know if you have any other questions about this!

Best,

Allie

Hello Allie,

I'm working on Sequential Mode.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Narciso