Solved

Grid sag slows analysis to crawl

• 9 April 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I’m having an issue where when using a grid sag surface in sequential mode, the analysis side (generating a wavefront map or optical path diagram) can be over 3 hours, which I know is not typical in sequential mode.

I saw someone having a similar issue, and it was due to a formatting error in their .dat file (Troubles when using grid sags in OpticStudio | Zemax Community). I’ve double checked that my files have the correct formatting. I posted a reply there but figured this may be it’s own topic.

This is a double pass system and I have Afocal image space checked in the system explorer. The system in the Zip has a R156 mm cylindrical surface as a  25x25 grid sag (Cyl25) and 250x250 (Cyl250), but I want to use this as launching point to do acylindrical surfaces (WolterP25).

My imports are very quick, it’s only the analysis that is slow. The wavefront generated is also very different (over 100 waves of difference) compared to if I were to use a toroidal surface instead of the grid sag (I used this as a double check, but I don’t want to use it in general because I can’t analyze the acylindrical surface). 

Would there be different reason that grid sag would make a system slow down and possibly very inaccurate? I expect some extra time and some error to creep in due to interpolation, especially with this low sampling, but this is excessive to be that. Is my .dat file still wrong? I followed the tutorial on how to generate the file programatically.

I would like to approach it this direction, but I’m also open to suggestions of approaching this problem from a different direction. 

I also tried this grid sag surface as a refractive element to see if the mirror was causing the issue, but it produced similar results. 

Thank you,

Hayden

icon

Best answer by Hayden.Wisniewski 14 April 2022, 16:12

View original

1 reply

This question was answered in the replies here:

Troubles when using grid sags in OpticStudio | Zemax Community