Grating model in NSC for Stray Analysis

• 26 February 2021
  • 1 reply

I am using Zemax for spectrograph Stray Light analysis, but I got some issues with the grating model. I used two objects (the front object is rectangular Volume, the rear one is Diffraction Grating). When I tried to find the strongest scatterings, one path is shown as the below figure. The light bumps several times within grating. It seems the reflection happens on the inside surfaces of grating, which is not reasonable in the real world. 

I am not sure the grating model is correct in NSC. Please give me some suggestions about this. Thanks.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Shaojie,

Thank you for your post!

From this screenshot, it's kind of difficult to see what's going on inside the Diffraction grating. But the NSC Diffraction Grating object is basically a Standard Lens with a diffraction grating on one face, and this diffraction surface can diffract both in reflection and in transmission. If you assign a material on the Diff Grating object, it's possible for rays being diffracted back in reflection from one face of the grating, and then bounce inside of the Diff Grating object, something as shown below. 

Best regards,

Hui