Solved

Diffractive Optical Element DOE on a Cylindrical surface (Sequential)

• 20 October 2021
  • 1 reply

• Infrared
  • 7 replies

I usually use Binary1 Surface to model DOEs (Kinoforms) in sequential mode.
The Binary Surface can be shaped rotational symmetric (Sphere or Asphere) but this kind of Elements are usually produced on a Foil that only allows bending it in one dimension (Cylindrical).

The (extended) toroidal grating surfaces allow this shape, but are only supporting linear gratings.

Have I overseen a surface type?

Is there a possibility to bend a Binary1 into a cylinder?

Best

Steffen

icon

Best answer by Angel Morales 27 October 2021, 01:14

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for your post here!

I’ve also taken a look at our native diffractive surface types, and it looks like we do not have a surface which does what you’re looking for. I have passed on your thoughts internally as a feature request, though, so thank you for your feedback here.

I think the only way to generate a surface with this definition would be to create one as a DLL. We do provide a sample DLL, us_grate.c, which is meant to demonstrate how to write a Diffractive DLL (found in C:\...\Zemax\DLL\Surfaces). You can also take a look at the article here for information on what constitutes a full sequential surface DLL: Custom DLLs in OpticStudio: An overview of user-defined surfaces, objects, and other DLL types. In short, you would need to define the sag profile so that it allows for definition of your cylindrical shape along with the added phase terms in the same manner as Binary 1.

Thanks, and let us know if you have any more questions!