Solved

Detector view during non-sequential ray tracing

• 3 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I am non-sequential ray tracing a system with a lenslet array to simulate a SH-wavefront sensor and when I get the detector irradiance image it has two copies of the irradiance distribution.  One that is the one expected and a second that is reflected about the center of the detector.  This second one is not correct.  The 3D layout image has the correct single set of rays in it.  Is there some assumed symmetry operation for the detector view that I need to turn off?

icon

Best answer by Ray 3 December 2020, 14:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Set 'Mirroring' to 0 for the detectors.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello,

Thanks for your posts here!

Ray, thanks for your answer, the Mirroring parameter of the Detector should solve the problem.

Kent, you may find more information about this in the Help system at:

The Setup Tab > Editors Group (Setup Tab) > Non-sequential Component Editor > Non-sequential Detectors > Detector Rectangle Object

Mirroring flag. Mirroring allows the detector to exploit symmetry in the incident rays. Any ray that lands on the detector will be divided into parts, and each part of the ray will be copied to the symmetric mirror images of the detector. If mirroring is set to 0, the detector does not use the mirroring feature. If mirroring is set to 1, then the detector will assume left-right symmetry exists in the incident rays. If mirroring is set to 2, then the detector will assume top-bottom symmetry. If mirroring is set to 3, then both left-right and top-bottom mirroring will be done. The mirroring may also be set to 4, 5, or 6; these values are similar to 1, 2, and 3, respectively, except the intensity of the rays is not scaled down to conserve energy. For example, using a value of 1 would divide a single 1-watt ray into two 0.5 watt rays, while a value of 4 would create two 1-watt rays. Which value is correct depends upon whether or not the sources generating the illumination are also scaled down to reflect symmetry or not, and only the user can make this determination. Note that if mirroring is used, and the illumination and optics are not actually symmetric in the expected way, erroneous data may result.

Best,

Csilla