Solved

Define Coat/Scatter in Cylinder 2 Pipe

• 25 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone,

I am working on a NSC system, and I would like to define a Cylinder 2 Pipe with both sides at 45 degrees and absorbing surfaces apart from a single mirror surface, on the backside.

However, I noticed that in Coat/Scatter section of the Object Properties window I cannot select the face.

Is there another possible way to define the properties of the various faces? If not, what is the best alternative? Which objects support the Coat/Scatter settings?

In my case, given that the object is thin, I can also use a rotated Elliptical volume, which however is not exactly what I need: the cylinder with this setup has to be right, and I want an oblique one.

Thanks in advance,

Michele

icon

Best answer by Berta.Bernad 25 November 2020, 11:20

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi Michele,

A cylinder 2 pipe is a rotationally symmetric surface, and coatings cannot be applied to this surface unless it is set to a Mirror material. I think you can use 'Cylinder Volume 2' object instead. This object is very similar to the cylinder 2 pipe, except the front and rear faces are included to make the shape a closed volume. Because the object is a closed volume, it may be reflective, refractive, or absorbing. 

Then, you can make a cylinder light pipe by using two cylinder volumes and performing a Boolean operation on them (I'm attaching a dummy file here for your reference). Once you create Boolean Native object that represents the cylinder shell, the coating will still need to be applied to the proper face of the Parent object. In order to figure out which face of which parent object to apply the coating to, you can open an Object Viewer by clicking the “View Current Object” button in the Non-Sequential Component Editor.

Best,

Berta