Solved

Create new material with transmission data

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am trying to create a new material which I named SILICONFIT in my design and use it as a silicon substrate. On top of the silicon substrate I put a rectangular volume named SIO2 made of SILICA. And inside the rectangular volume I put a source volume rectangle I named Light source. The dimension of them is stated below:

The lens units is Milimeters.

SIO2 (SILICA:) X1 half width: 0.022, Y1 half width: 0.022, Z length 0.00985, X2 half width:0.022, Y2 half width: 0.022

Source Volume Rectangle: Power: 100 (miliwatts),  X half width 0.022, Y half width: 0.005, Z half width: 0.0001,

Silicon substrate: X1 half width: 0.03, Y1 half width: 0.03, Z length 0.5, X2 half width:0.03, Y2 half width: 0.03.

For the new material, I defined the transmission data followed the instruction in the user manual. Below is a screen capture of the transmission data I have defined.

The wavelength I used is 450nm with weight of 1.

Based on the transmission data I put, after the light ray go through the substrate with a Z length of 0.5 which is 500 Micrometer, it should be absorbed with 0 intensity. But from the 3D layout, I noticed that a single light ray can be reflected many times inside the silicon substrate. In the picture below I have changed the layout rays to 1 to demonstrate the situation. I am not sure why this happen and please let me know if I have missed out any step or accidently did anything wrong.

Besides that, I noticed that once I remove the SIO2 rectangle volume, the light rays will terminate once they go through the Silicon substrate. That means, when I have the light source and the silicon substrate only, the light rays will terminate after they go through the silicon substrate once. They will never show multiple times of reflection inside the substrate.

Would really appreciate your help on this very confusing phenomenon I observed.

Waiting for your reply!

Best Regards,

Niu Jing

icon

Best answer by Hui Chen 12 July 2022, 20:17

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Jing,

I think there is a problem with how you specify the Transmission data of the material. For each wavelength, you should have only one data entry with Thickness and Transmission combo. OS uses that to derive the absorption coefficient, and then calculates corresponding transmission based on the thickness a particular ray travels in the medium. You should not have multiple Transmission entries for one wavelength.

As for your second question on why when removing the Rectangular Volume things seem to work, it’s difficult for me to say without seeing the actual lens file. There might be object nesting rule in play when you place a source inside of a volume and when two objects overlap each other. In such cases there is certain rules to follow in order for rays to properly interact with each object. You can find this explained in the help file at 

The Setup Tab > Editors Group (Setup Tab) > Non-sequential Component Editor > Non-sequential Overview > Object Placement

The Setup Tab > Editors Group (Setup Tab) > Non-sequential Component Editor > Non-sequential Sources > Placing Sources Inside Objects

If after fixing the Transmission data and following the nesting rules, you still cannot understand the ray behavior inside the Silicon substrate, I would recommend you to open a support ticket by emailing Support@zemax.com. If you could attach a sample model demonstrating the issue, it’ll make it easier for our support engineers to troubleshoot. 

Best,

Hui

Hi Hui,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Will try your suggestion.

Best Regards,

Jing